From Northampton Planning Board via The North Street Neighborhood Association
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Discussing a lighting plan for a gas station on Easthampton Road
- The board is concerned about excessive exterior lighting that goes beyond the requirements of safety. Commercial establishments might be tempted to indulge in such lighting to call more attention to their business.
Discussion of changes to Planning Board bylaws and rules
Minutes from past meetings approved
Discussion of evolutions at Hospital Hill (Village Hill) with respect to Kollmorgen’s proposed new plant and other changes
- "The project still has to meet all the design guidelines."
- "There’s a lot of components that definitely have to come back to you."
- "If they meet the design guidelines, you’re limited to finding they meet the design guidelines. If they don’t meet the design guidelines, then anything goes."
- "Soon as the Kollmorgen thing starts, we’re going to have a packed house…"
- (42:21) "The thing about the CAC is that it’s the kind of committee that sort of gradually increases because there’s 15 people. Most of them have very narrow views. One of them represents mental health, one of them represents housing, and they don’t care about the project as a whole. All they care about is their own special thing. It’s not particularly great if you want to reach a consensus about stuff."
- "I’m not necessarily opposed to Kollmorgen or any big, industrial type thing up there, I just want it to be done in a way that meets the village concept."
- "Conceptually, it’s OK with the CAC."
- "I was surprised it happened without us knowing about it."
- "My feeling is it’s going to be like an armed camp up there, and I think it would be really desirable for them to design it so that they didn’t feel that the parking lot had to be secure; could be a little bit more of a village walking places."
Discussion of soccer teams’ compliance with parking and traffic conditions at the Oxbow
- "I want to be able to hear the soccer club defend themselves."
- "I get the impression we came down on the soccer club like a ton of bricks, and…they didn’t know about the hearing… At least they should have their day in court, so to speak."
- "…I think the Northampton Soccer Club is doing a good job, Western United not so much."